Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Inaugural Blog

FADE IN

This is the launch. The FADE IN. The inaugural blog for the SSOnscreen Blog. I’m by no
means a Blog-Virgin. I’ve been blogging for years as a poet/ writer/ mother/ wife/ creative/ world citizen. But I decided to birth this space because I am realizing it will make me a more effective blogger. I read great blogs pretty regularly and the point to them is that there is a point to them! So, this won’t be the gumbo blog of old. This is the blog that will capture my adventures in screenwriting/film/entertainment. The conundrum for me has long been figuring out how to be a positive, contributing, productive part of an industry that has so many negative features. I don’t know. And maybe I will figure out here. But, seven scripts in, I can’t silence the calling. So, I am doing what most obedient spirits do… I’m answering the call.


I’m giving life to the characters who need to be created as much as I need to create them. I’m crafting scenes so vivid in my mind that, since I can't paint them, I must write them. This art gives me the space and time to visualize an artistic rendering of the people and the world I love. The world that challenges me. The people who love and believe in me in spite of myself. The world I hope to make better by sharing this art.

Major shout out to screenwriters John August and Craig Mazin (the former The Artful Writer), for putting so much work and heart into your blogs so that we, the aspiring many, could get so much out of them. Shout outs to my mentors, my children and husband, my extended family, my friends and all of the people who are walking this journey with me; who keep me strong and humble; who inspire me, hang out with me, and check on me to make sure I haven’t fallen victim to this dogged maelstrom of inspiration.

Onward and Upward...

1 comment: