Saturday, August 25, 2012

Thank you Jenifer A. Lewis...

 
"' HOLD THE LINE!'  That's one of the first lines Russell Crowe's (@russellcrowe) character says to his men in Gladiator.  'HOLD THE LINE!'  You might see the arrows coming at you... you might feel like you are on the battlefield alone.  But you (Black Screenwriter) have got to HOLD THE LINE because we (Black Actors/Hollywood) need you!  Too many meople quit just before they make it to the other side.  And that is the difference between successful screenwriters and the next door neighbors.  So..."

She holds me by both shoulders, looks me in my eye...

"Hold the line, and I'll see you on the other side."

We hug and she walks away and I am changed forever. *sigh*

That's either the way my memory serves me or my poetically licensed version of my stolen moment with one of my long-time fave actresses Jenifer Lewis at the 2007 American Black Film Festival in Los Angeles, just after her brief talk following the screening of the film REDRUM (writers: Carl Seaton, Kenny Young; Director Kenny Young).

I write because there would be a part of me that would die a slow death if I didn't.  I write because I always have.  I write because I feel brave and special when I do it.  I write because what I have to say is worth the telling and it helps to change the world one telling at a time. 

Thank you, Jenifer Lewis.  I'm still climbing...

No comments:

Post a Comment